How to paint like this?

Zenigata

ww-fichte
Hello,

I am sorry that I cannot speak/understand German so I write in English.

I still am looking for painting method.
Here is the photo of the painting finish which I would like to immitate.

Message - Photos

I think the process is following.

1) Applying venner
2) Applying dark color water stain, then wiped
3) Applying different type of red stain
4) Clear polyurethan coated
5) polished

How do you think?

My questions are ...
- Could you tell if the process above is correct? if not, please tell what is correct.
- What kind of veneer is good for this kind of finish? (I guess oak is not bad. how about ash? are there any other recomendations?)
- will you give me the recommendation of stain products of 2) and 3)
if you give me the instruction of the stain, then perfect!

Naturöler

ww-robinie
Hi, i try to translate for a better chance of getting an answer from the community:

der TE will diesen Boxenständer in Wurzelholzoptik-Hochglanz nachbauen und fragt ob folgende Vorgehensweise korrekt wäre:

1. Furnier aufkleben
2. dunkle Beize auf Wasserbasis (?) auftragen und Überschuß abwischen
3. rötliche Beize partiell auftragen
4. farblosen Polyurethan-lack auftragen
5. polieren

Weiter fragt er welche Art Furnier geeignet wäre: Eiche, Esche oder?
Außerdem welche Beize empfehlenswert wäre (hersteller/bezeichnung)
und ob es dafür eine Hersteller-gebrauchsanleitung gibt.

carsten

Teammitglied
Hello

the process is correct but is to be improved.
After applying the venner the surface must be sanded very well.
Especially using water stain you should water the wood surface a litlle bit but evenly.
After drying it has to be sanded again but very carefully more caressing than sanding.
And always in the direction of your wood using new very sharp sanding paper.
Depending of the used venner you only need a redcolored stain. The darker shadows are the naturally reflection of wood/ venner. You should make several samples with your choosen venner to find your color or effect. Do not forget that the coat could change the color of the stain and it lightens the naturally reflections.
Professional high gloss coatings mostly start with a primer or filler matching to the high gloss coat.
The pores of wood have to be filled to get a perfect high gloss. So the primer has to have several layers with sanding between.
Even the high gloss coat needs at least two layers. And it needs time to dry between every layer.
To polish needs several steps too.
Oak and ash are not suitable for high gloss surfaces.
Both are woods with very large pores. So it would take a lot of filler layers to fill all to get a perfect surface.
Beech or maple would be my choice.

Some professional coatings that are used form carpenters in Germany are arti, hesse lignal, clou, zweihorn.
I don't know if there are English manuals available. In German there are
instructions downloadable on the homepages.

Having a second or third look at the linked photo. I am not sure if the wooden part is high gloss. Clear coatings ar available in several gloss grades.
Only high gloss has to be polished.
For professional painting you need the appropriate equipment and environment.
Professinal surfaces are sprayed.

Big_A

ww-birke
I would have a look at Luthiers and their Bulletin Boards or Books.
In Germany well known for his finishing skills: Ritter Instruments
But if they will share their secrets? The Basics for shure ...

Zenigata

ww-fichte
Hello Naturöler, Thank you very much for the translation!
Yes, water-stain is water based stain.

Hello Big_A,
Thank you for the link! My wife likes there paintings!

And thank you very much for the explanation, Carsten!

Yes, I think spray gun and dust free room is needed too. Actually, I have a friend who is car mechanic. He also can paint cars. I plan to ask him to apply clear coat and polishing of surface. Accordingly, I need to prepare veneer which has been stained beautifully. I am thinking about high gross finish.

Unfortunately, I have no experience of painting so I did some experiments with some kinds of wood.
I wanted to show wood pattern with dark color while making bright parts with red.
But the result of my experiments with beech was something like just smeared. There was no wood pattern and everything was stained in same. Accordingly, I even didn’t think about beech and maple. In stead, the result of oak was good because I was able to show wood pattern vividly.
Could you give me advice how to enhance the wood pattern of beech and maple?
I will retry the experiment according to your advice with some beech laminated wood.

About sanding, thicknesses of veneers are usually 0.6mm or so. Is sanding possible? What number of sanding paper do you think adequate?

About stain, I am glad if you give me some recommendation of specific products. I have heard of some of makers which you gave. But I have problem what to choose from their products.
Talking about the photograph, the wood pattern of annual rings are painted dark. I thought this is from technique of wiping after applying stain. But as you told, it may be OK with only red color stain thinking that annual rings can be stained more. Considering these, there may be two patterns. The first is applying two type of stains such as black or brown and red, and the second is applying only red stain. I would be glad if you give the specific products for the both patterns.

Thank you!

fritz-rs

am 7.9.2016 verstorben
Ich denke, daß die Boxen weniger angemalt sind.
Wenn er Cocobolo-Furnier aufklebt/leimt, hat er genau die äquivalente Optik.

Gruß Fritz

fritz-rs

am 7.9.2016 verstorben
Mein Cocobolo-Massivholz hole ich bei Hobbyholz.de. Ob er auch Furnier liefern kann, weiß ich nicht.
Ich habe Furniere bei ihm liegen sehen.

Bei Ebay wird auch Cocobolo-Furnier angeboten.

Ich würde mich mal an einen Furnierhandel wenden.
Es ist in jedem Fall erforderlich, das Material selbst auszusuchen, da Cocobolo von leuchtend rot bis dunkelbraun in der Farbe schwankt.
Adressen haben mit Sicherheit die örtlichen Schreinereien.

Gruß Fritz

Zenigata

ww-fichte
Hello Fritz,

I am able to understand what you tell with google translation.
I have found some cocobolo furnier on the internet. I will visit the shops so that I can find nice one!

Thank you very much!:emoji_slight_smile:

Oben Unten